Acupuncture involves the insertion of fine needles into various parts of the body to stimulate or relax the body. There are different types of acupuncture:
- Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) which can be traced back as far as 1000BC and is based on Qi or energy flow.
- Western acupuncture which is based on the release of chemicals in the nervous system, some of which are pain relieving and healing. It also involves specific relaxation of muscles (trigger point acupuncture).
Research supports the effectiveness of acupuncture for pain relief and it is therefore used by trained Acupuncturists and Midwives as part of a comprehensive treatment plan.
Mojgan Nadafi Registered Midwife from Surrey Mama Midwifery offers acupuncture during labor for pain management, progress of labor and baby’s position that help increase in normal, uncomplicated vaginal births and reduce the need for a caesarean section.
Acupuncture is ideally suited to treat the following conditions:
- Pregnancy support
- Prevent Miscarriage
- Nausea and Vomiting
- Anxiety, Depression, Mood swings
- Pain – Pelvic Girdle, Back, and sciatica pain
- Incompetent Cervix
- Preterm Labor
Acupuncture during labor
- relieve posterior, anterior and lateral pain
- shorten labour
- promote the descent of the fetus
- treat slow labour progression
- promote relaxation of the perineum
- decrease the need to use of medication
- help reduce the need for a caesarean section and its related pain
- shorten the delivery period
- increase in normal, uncomplicated vaginal births.
- treat retained placenta
Sukhi Uppal’s Biography
Your Care Starts Here
Flexible appointments and urgent care.
Or call — (778) 394-7996