Acupuncture involves the insertion of fine needles into various parts of the body to stimulate or relax the body. There are different types of acupuncture:
- Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) which can be traced back as far as 1000BC and is based on Qi or energy flow.
- Western acupuncture which is based on the release of chemicals in the nervous system, some of which are pain relieving and healing. It also involves specific relaxation of muscles (trigger point acupuncture).
Research supports the effectiveness of acupuncture for pain relief and it is therefore used by trained Acupuncturists and Midwives as part of a comprehensive treatment plan.
Mojgan Nadafi Registered Midwife from Surrey Mama Midwifery offers acupuncture during labor for pain management, progress of labor and baby’s position that help increase in normal, uncomplicated vaginal births and reduce the need for a caesarean section.
Acupuncture is ideally suited to treat the following conditions:
- Pregnancy support
- Prevent Miscarriage
- Nausea and Vomiting
- Anxiety, Depression, Mood swings
- Pain – Pelvic Girdle, Back, and sciatica pain
- Incompetent Cervix
- Preterm Labor
- Breech Presentation
- Posterior Presentation
- Cervical Ripening
Acupuncture during labor
- relieve posterior, anterior and lateral pain
- shorten labour
- promote the descent of the fetus
- treat slow labour progression
- promote relaxation of the perineum
- decrease the need to use of medication
- help reduce the need for a caesarean section and its related pain
- shorten the delivery period
- increase in normal, uncomplicated vaginal births.
- treat retained placenta
- Postpartum recovery
- Postpartum Depression
- Decreased or Insufficient Lactation
- Mastitis or Blocked Ducts
- Constipation and Hemorrhoids
Sukhi Uppal’s Biography
Sukhi Uppal graduated from Bastyr University with Masters in Acupuncture. Has been practicing acupuncture for last 15 years. Sukhi is very passionate about her work and goes above and beyond to help her patients. She specializes in working with pregnant women, addictions, cosmetic acupuncture and muscular pains. Acupuncture helps in fertility, during and postpartum. During pregnancy acupuncture can help with pains, nausea, low energy, morning sickness, anxiety and more.
Acupuncture helps in easing labour pains calmness. After delivery it can help with postpartum depression, emotional strain and anxiety.
Your Care Starts Here
Flexible appointments and urgent care.
Or call — (778) 394-7996
Excellent Empowering Birth Experience Is Our Mission